broken Haiti




this problem is so big
world upheaval
feels overwhelming
paralyzed
left to short glances

if i look hard
i will have to feel
weep
hopeless helpless
reminded
never to complain

the rescue
needed
long before
this


No man is an island
No man stands alone
Each man's joy is joy to me
Each man's grief is my own


We need one another
So i will defend
Each man as my brother
Each man as my friend.

Joan Baez is to be applauded for the lyrics and song, but note that the lyrics are an allusion to Meditation XVII, by John Donne (1572-1631). It is the same piece from which Ernest Hemingway took the title of his novel For Whom the Bell Tolls (... therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.) 



...

Comments

alison said…
i know what you mean . . . paralyzed . . . where to start . . . not wanting to watch and look too long . . . broken.

the kids janitor at their school is a US citizen from Haiti . . . has not been able to contact any of his many family members at this point.

my prayers are with this country and people.
cristie said…
you are right about praying for this people...so much suffering :(
S. Etole said…
it's difficult to even imagine ...
Cath said…
Doug and I love Donne's poem. Doug has it memorized. Times like this make us feel after those people. Level our hearts. I liked this youtube spot I watched last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oUYcY51NcU

Yes - they've needed rescuing long before. Look to hard, and you're right - you are forcde to weep. Beautiful Cristie.
Unknown said…
I'm looking and weeping.
But I'm loving hard too,
it's all we get to do.
cristie said…
thank you all for leaving such sweet thoughtful comments.

cath, i watched the youtube video. i love the inspiring care.

xox

Popular Posts