Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Ray Charles



spring
1974
i was offered a job
to work for this man
his
personal secretary

i interviewed
the offer came the next day
i declined
"no thank you"

why no?
i went home
talked it over with sweetie
it just didn't feel right

even when i typed
took dictation
answered questions
drove from Studio City
to Los Angeles
i wondered
"what in the heck am i doing here"

for starters
we were a one car family
sweetie needed that car more than i
Los Angeles was too far
find work in "the valley"

but,
interviewing for that job...
well, i'll never forget

just a small town girl
from Bountiful
sitting in that big fancy office
gold albums on the walls
not a white person in sight
but me



(favorite Ray Charles song..."You Don't Know Me" sung with Diana Krall)

...

3 comments:

Gwynie Pie said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. I'm fairly new to blogland vut I'm loving it so. :)

The pic of all your sweet children is too cute. Good blog, I like your style. I'll be back !

Gwyn Rosser
The Pink Tractor
www.gwynrosser.blogspot.com

deb said...

Are you kidding?
And I so love that you were able to keep your heart in the right place. I'm sure it was a bittersweet decision for a time.

Katie said...

how do I not know this story?? I'm probably guilty of the same assumptions that my kids have - that I know most everything about you!