Thursday, October 15, 2009

the hang-up






quickly a good day can go south
she calls all sugar and spice
a request to drive to heck-and-gone
"it'll look good on my resume"

i look at the time and think of traffic
this sweet, kind, indulged darling
"you need to come home"
pause, no click the line goes dead

i consider being nice, briefly
so many options...
i too hate to be denied...
shuffling downstairs; she's home

saved lunch waiting for her
"do you want to get tossed"
blue eyes looking innocent
i will never be a doormat

quickly a good day gone south
sugar and spice and not so nice
someday will mother
the 'tail will not wag the dog'

for any mother's raised here


...

4 comments:

alison said...

i would NEVER have done that! i can't believe she hung up on you:) i want to hear more.

about me: said...

I know...as soon as I read "click" I thought, Ohhhhhh No!

I love the last line, that you realize when you teach/discipline/educate your children, that you are blessing their lives as future parents, too. I don't think I've ever thought of it that way.
Awesome.

I'm sorry about the lousy day though, for both of you.

Julie O'Leary said...

I'm glad to know that darling girl has a flaw or two. I thought she was perfect. Well maybe perfect, minus one. Love you Miss Lizzie.

cristie said...

the nice thing is...an hour later and it's "all water under the bridge."